The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates citizens about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.
To provide information and training on disaster preparedness, support for first responders, provide leadership and coordination for volunteers, and provide post-emergency assistance to victims.
Hays County CERT provides support for:
- Emergency Services such as Fire Departments, EMS Departments, and Law Enforcement Departments throughout Hays County
- Hays County Office of Emergency Management
- San Marcos Marshals Office
- Centex Chapter of the American Red Cross.
CERT members receive training and support from leaders of each of those organizations.
In addition to its emergency response missions, CERT is also providing non-emergency support at community events such as:
- Lions Market Day
- Dripping Springs Founders Day
- TXST Football Games
- Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
- Buda Fire Fest
- TXST Graduation